NSBO expects all officials to follow the guidelines in this document along with the CBOC, BNS and Public Health documents on return to play. Any official who is not feeling well should not accept game assignments. Additional protocols may be in place for a specific facility – so please be aware.
- Referees will wear a face mask to and from all games.
- Referees will sanitize their hands before the game, half time and after the game has finished.
- Referees will bring their own sanitizer, towels, and refreshments to the game.
- Referees are not to shower at the game site prior to or after the game.
- Referees will apply social distancing guidelines where possible in the facility.
- Referees will come dressed to their games. Avoid wearing your referee shoes to the game. Clean and sanitize your referee shoes once the game is over.
- Referees will arrive 15 minutes prior to tip-off.
- Referees will administer timeouts and substitutions a minimum of six feet away from the scorer’s table.
- Use your voice instead of a whistle during dead ball periods.
- No formal greetings to coaches and no end of game handshakes.
- The Home Team listed on the scoresheet will have the first possession of the game. A coin toss to determine first possession is also allowed. No jump ball to start the game.
- Referees will bounce the ball to the inbounder at a minimum of six feet all over the court.
- Subs will be beckoned onto the court by the official from their bench – no gathering of subs at the scorer’s table. The bench still needs to identify to the scorer that there are subs to come into the game.
- Live Streaming or video recording of a game is allowed as long as the person live streaming or recording is within the team bench area. No movement around the gym is allowed.
** A mask can be worn during a game and when talking to a coach. Avoid getting near players during free throw activity. **