Nova Scotia Points of Emphasis
Nova Scotia Points of Emphasis 2017-2018 Season
- All defensive clutching and holding fouls on perimeter drives will be called immediately.
- Illegal screens and holding fouls on screens will be called early in the game.
- Offensive players will not be allowed to make illegal contact to open up lanes for the dribblers.
- Fouls when players move under airborne shooters will be called. At the same time, officials will not reward shooters who come out of their cylinder. The shooter can’t jump into other players and kick his/her feet out and expect to get the foul. [offensive foul]
- The principle of verticality will be called correctly. Defensive players will be allowed to go straight up in their cylinder to block shots.
- Blows to the head and groin area plus not playing the ball fouls on transition plays will be called unsportsmanlike fouls.
- Bench decorum will be monitored carefully.
- The continuous motion rule will be applied appropriately. The act of shooting needs to be rewarded properly.
- Travelling violations have been clearly defined in the new rules. Officiate footwork with a “0-1-2” approach for a player who catches the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble – first foot on the floor is “Zero”, then the next step is “1”, and then the next step is “2”.